Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ice Cream #18: Coconut Sorbet


Hello dear readers! I'm sorry I've been absent the past couple of weeks. I'm currently working as an assistant recipe tester/developer for an upcoming cookbook and it has taken up all of my free time! That means I won't be posting as many recipes as I usually do these next few weeks. That's my disclaimer for today. Now let's talk about this delicious coconut sorbet...



Aaron's birthday was a couple weeks ago and he requested a German chocolate cake. Initially I was going to make a coconut ice cream to go along with it (using coconut cream and coconut milk), but alas, I couldn't find the cream. I didn't have time to go in search of it and decided to make a coconut sorbet instead from the ingredients I already had at home. 





This coconut sorbet is light and refreshing. It's simple, yet extremely flavorful, and a perfect choice on a hot day. After taking a stroll with our dog Lady in the park, we came back to the apartment and enjoyed Aaron's birthday cake. The sorbet tied in nicely with the coconut in the cake and helped to balance the intensity of the chocolate. Yum! 




COCONUT SORBET

Ingredients:
2 (13.5 oz.) cans coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut, for garnish

Fill a large metal bowl with about 2-inches of ice water. Put a slightly smaller metal bowl inside. Place a fine mesh strainer over the two bowls and set aside. 

In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt and bring just to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Pour the liquid through the fine mesh strainer into the prepared bowls. Stir over the ice bath until cool. Stir in the vanilla extract. 

Cover the bowl with a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate until until cold, preferably overnight. Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic quart container and freeze for several hours. Garnish each serving of sorbet with toasted coconut. 

Yield: 1 quart

No comments:

Post a Comment