Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream



Aaron specially requested this ice cream as one of his edible birthday presents this year. This is one of his favorite ice creams that I make and little does he know how easy it is to make! This particular recipe is a Philadelphia style ice cream, which unlike French style ice creams, does not contain eggs. That means it's incredibly easy and less work to make. You don't have to separate eggs, temper, or cook the base to create a custard (good news for the lazy cook). Though it's not as rich as some egg-based ice creams, it's still sinfully delicious, and surprisingly light and refreshing. 



Unfortunately, I have no idea where I found the original recipe. By now, it has been adapted and over the years morphed into something all my own. All I know is that after the first time I made this ice cream, I immediately wrote down my version of the recipe so I wouldn't forget it. That's always a good sign. 



This tastes the way cookies and cream ice cream is supposed to taste. There are no fillers or additives commonly found in store-bought ice creams. It's a simple recipe made with simple ingredients. Since there are no eggs, the flavor of the cream stands out beautifully. Sometimes I just crave that unadulterated creaminess and this hits the spot. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another request for this in just a few days. 




This ice cream marks the beginning of my year-long ice cream challenge (Aaron's idea, no big surprise). My challenge is to make two ice creams (including sorbets and gelatos etc.) a month, 24 in a year. I realize many people don't have an ice cream maker, but this is a personal challenge I've set for myself just for fun. I figured some of you would like to follow along, ice cream maker or not. We love having frozen desserts in the house and this is a great way to ensure a constant supply!




COOKIES & CREAM ICE CREAM

Ingredients:
1½ cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp. sea salt
2½ cups heavy cream
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups chocolate cream-filled cookies (2 cups chopped & 1 cup broken into large pieces)

In a 2-quart saucepan, add the milk, sugar, and salt. Heat over medium heat, whisking every so often, until the milk begins to simmer and the sugar has completely dissolved (approximately 175 degrees F). Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. 

Once cooled slightly, add the cream and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Transfer the cream mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. 

Transfer the cream mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a large metal bowl. Using a rubber spatula fold all of the cookie pieces into the ice cream. Scoop the ice cream into plastic containers and freeze for several hours or over night.

Makes about 1¾ quarts 

Notes:
  • If you're adverse to eating the Nabisco brand Oreo's, look around and you can find many different varieties that taste equal to or better than Oreo's themselves. I like to use Whole Food's 365 brand or Late July brand cookies. Also, refrigerating the cookies makes them easier to chop.

No comments:

Post a Comment