Thursday, April 19, 2012

DIY Wrapping Paper


Aaron's birthday is right around the corner and I felt inspired to make homemade wrapping paper for some of his gifts. I've always been a fan of using butcher's paper as wrapping paper, so I thought I'd start there and jazz it up a bit with some leftover paint I had lying around the apartment. I get so tired of spending money on wrapping paper that ends up getting wrinkled and destroyed in the closet or under the bed. Half the time I forget where I've stashed it. Creating your own allows you to make only what you need. 




Why would I spend time on something that's just going to be ripped apart, you ask? That's a perfectly logical question and one that I've asked myself. I don't really have an answer for it. All I know is that it makes the gift giving process that much more fun! Besides, it's not like you're creating an entire roll of gift wrap. Cut a piece of paper to the size you need and let your imagination run wild. Different shaped sponge brushes help to make quick, simple patterns. The best part is, homemade wrapping paper is imperfect, personalized, and entirely original. No one but the recipient will have a gift wrapped quite like it. 





Here's how to make it:
  • Begin by picking up a variety of sponge brushes and plain butcher or craft paper (gift bags work great for this too) from your local craft or art store. 
  • Simply cut a piece of paper large enough to fit the box you intend to wrap and decorate it using different colors and patterns.
  • Let the paint dry prior to wrapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment